How to Apply
Both the parties must:
- Apply for the marriage license together in person and sign the license in the presence of the Town Clerk or his assistant, attesting to the truth of the information listed thereon.
- Present a certified copy from your city/town/state (with raised seal) of a birth certificate. A hospital record is not a certified copy. Only a long-form will be accepted. A valid passport or alien card may be accepted for a foreign birth when the applicant is unable to obtain a birth record in their country of birth.
- Present a valid government-issued picture ID, e.g., a State issued driver’s license or passport.
- If previously married, present a certified copy of the Final Divorce Decree with the raised stamped court seal or a certified copy of the death certificate of the previous spouse.
- If under age 18 or under control of a legal guardian, a parent or legal guardian must be a party to the application process.
Residents of Rhode Island
Where to apply if residents of Rhode Island:
Either party may apply in their city or town or residence in Rhode Island. This license may be used in any one of the other cities and towns.
Where to apply if nonresident of Rhode Island:
- If neither party lives in Rhode Island, the marriage license must be obtained at the city/town clerk’s office in the city or town where the ceremony will take place. Rhode Island law states that the marriage license is valid only in the city/town in which it was issued when neither party is a resident of Rhode Island.
- If the marriage ceremony is performed in a city/town other than the city/town of issuance, the validity of the marriage may be in question.