Marriage Licenses

It is strongly suggested that you should call the Town Clerk's Office at (401) 253-7000 or e-mail at in order to obtain complete and up-to-date information on obtaining a marriage license, 
You must complete a  (License Application/Worksheet) in order to obtain a marriage license. Couples may apply as early as three months in advance of the wedding date. The ceremony must occur during that 3-month period. If the parties do not marry, the license should be returned to the city/town office where the license was issued.

Following is some basic information and additional information is available by selecting the "How to Apply" button in the brown box to the left:


The cost of the Marriage License is $24 payable by check, cash or money order. Please note that this office does not accept credit/debit cards.


In addition to the officiant, the solemnization of marriage shall be in the presence of at least 2 witnesses who have reached the age of 18.

If the honor attendants are less than 18 years of age, any other persons who have reached the age of 18 and who were present at the ceremony may sign as witnesses.

Who May Perform the Ceremony

The following may join persons in marriage in any city/town in Rhode Island:
  • Every ordained clergy or elder in good standing
  • Every justice of the supreme court, superior court, family court, workers’ compensation court, district court, or Administrative adjudication court
  • The clerk of the supreme court
  • Every clerk or general chief clerk of a superior court, family court, district court, or administrative adjudication court
  • Magistrates
  • Special or general magistrates of the superior court, family court, or district court
  • Administrators of the workers’ compensation court
  • Every former justice or judge and former administrator of these courts
  • Every former chief clerk of the district court
  • Every former clerk or general chief clerk of a superior court may join persons in marriage in any city/town in Rhode Island
  • Every justice and former justice of the municipal courts of the cities and towns of this state and of the police court of the Town of Johnston
  • Every probate judge
Please note, wardens of the Town of New Shoreham may join persons in marriage in New Shoreham.

It is the responsibility of the officiant to register the marriage record with 72 hours at the Rhode Island city/town office where the license was issued.

Obtaining Certified Copies (also known as Marriage Certificates)

Certified Copies are also available at:

  • city or town clerk’s office of the city or town where the ceremony was performed
  •  State Office of Vital Records, One Capitol Hill, Providence, RI within one month of the ceremony
  •  city or town of the married couple's Rhode Island residence within two months of the ceremony
Certified copies are $20 for 1 copy and $15 for each additional copy obtained at the same time.