Request for Records
Please note: The Bristol Police Department maintains records pertaining to Police Department matters only.
The Bristol Police Department has instituted the following procedure to help you obtain public records:
- The Public Records Unit is the Records Office, please call 401-253-6900 and ask to be connected to the Records office.
- The regular business hours of the Records office are as follows:
- Monday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Tuesday through Friday: 8:00 AM to Midnight.
- Saturday: 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
- The Records Office is closed on Sunday and on all State and Federal holidays.
- If you come in after regular business hours, please complete the Request for Records Form (PDF) at the main lobby window and it will be given to the Records Office Clerk on the next working day.
- In order to ensure you are provided with the public records you seek in an expeditious manner, we ask that you complete the Request for Records Form located at the main lobby window or department’s website.
- You can also complete an online form and submit via e-mail here : Online Submission
- The department may ask you the reason for your request, as its regular course of business. However, you are not required to provide identification or reasons why you seek the information. Your right to access public records will not be denied for failing to provide identification or reasons.
- There are times when the public records you seek are not available at the time of your request. Please be advised that the Access to Public Records Act gives a public body 10 business days to respond, which can be extended an additional 20 days for “good cause." We appreciate your understanding and patience.
If you feel that you have been denied access to public records, you have the right to appeal to Josue D. Canario, Chief of Police.
If you are still not satisfied, you may file a suit in Superior Court, or file complaint with the Department of the Attorney General:
150 South Main Street
Providence, RI 02903
Information on the Access to Public Record is available online.
The Bristol Police Department is committed to providing you with public records in an expeditious and courteous manner.